Saturday, April 7, 2012

Living Up to the Atenean Challenge

I came in the Ateneo thinking that college is simply college―pure academics, pure intellectual. I thought that one pursues college for his good alone. All I know is that it’s there to lead us to our own paths of professional excellence. The Ateneo gave it to me. No, it gave me more than what I have expected. In this institution, I’ve found a number of wonderful people―those who will inspire you to do more, and to give more. From excellent professors―who are utterly devoted in educating students―to diligent and spirited co-students who will motivate you to try harder, and inspire you to really be a man for others.

Since my first year in college, I’ve seen Ateneo’s efforts to integrate us with the real world, with our society, with our kapwa. We had our exposure trips (where I was able to spend a day with orphaned kids in Manila Boys Home) for INTAC, yearlong tutorial service (where I taught indigent kids from Payatas) for NSTP, and an engagement program (where I experienced being a caregiver in the elderly sector) for JEEP. Unlike some students, I don’t see these opportunities as a mere part of our curriculum; instead, I consider these things very important in my formation as a person as well. Because this university caters all these opportunities―that a lot would not grab otherwise―made me value my Ateneo education so much.

I didn’t just let myself enter into the chaos of others because it was asked of me. It was also my decision to do more and give more through my active participation in the organizations I love the most. My sector-based organizations allowed me to do regular area insertions where I serve the kids through teaching them sciences like English and Math, as well as arts and music. I also find time for university-wide activities that serve as avenues for me to reach out to other people. I was part of the Ondoy Task Force, Blue Christmas, Alay ni Ignacio, and et cetera. I won’t deny, most of these sometimes do clash with my hectic academic schedule. But one thing I learned in my three years here in the Ateneo is this: You can’t get ‘there’ unless you have the guts to commit.

From my three-year stay in the Ateneo, I learned that everyone can be a leader. It is not about who you or your connections are, it is not about whether you are influential or not, it is not about how popular you are…It is about your capability to commit, your willingness to dedicate yourself for others. I may come from a middle class family, I may be someone who can’t afford to study in the Ateneo if it weren’t for the scholarship, but I dared to dream big. I was able to dream big because I stepped up and exposed myself with all these activities. Indeed, I can say that the leadership I have developed as an Atenean is not directed to the self alone; it is directed towards others, seeking also the kapwa’s formation. Until today, I am continuously immersing myself to these activities because I really want to grasp the essence of truly “being men and women for others”.

I realized I’m so much blessed in life. An ordinary person like me being transformed into the best Trina that I can be is already a gift that I should be so much thankful for. And so, living up to the challenge of being a man for others is my way of giving back. My continuous efforts to connect myself with others (especially to those who are needy) is the least thing I can do..for now. I wouldn’t stop there, because I know in my heart that each of us is called to be a living channel of blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment